Monday, January 9, 2012

Black Bean Pizzas

I have been experimenting with recipes all week, which has led to an empty kitchen. I had some moldy bell peppers, half an onion, and some cilantro. My veggies are running low. On top of not having a lot of fresh produce to work with, I did not feel like cooking. I used all of my cooking energy on testing recipes. I decided to put together black bean pizzas. I cooked this recipe up one day when my cousins were over, I wanted them to be involved and have the ability to make their own dish. This recipe is perfect for young kids and is completely customizable. My pizzas were a bit more bare than they are usually, so I am going to give you the recipe that I cooked tonight and then also give you suggestions.

Ingredients

Medium wheat tortillas (We typically eat one each)
1 can of refried black beans (or normal)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1-3 tablespoons of water
1 lime (juiced)
1/4 cup of low fat Monterrey cheese or Mexican style cheese per pizza
1/2 red onion
1/2 avocado (diced)
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro
Salt to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Run refried black beans (or regular), lime juice, and garlic through the food processor
3. If the beans are too thick to spread, add a tablespoon of water at a time until you reach a smooth spreadable consistency.
4. Place tortillas on a nonstick baking sheet
5. Spread black beans evenly across the tortilla (approximately 4 tablespoons per tortilla)



6. Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup of cheese and onions



7. Bake in oven for about 10-15 minutes (until cheese is melted)
8. Once you pull the sheet out of the oven, top the pizzas with cilantro and avocado

 Serve with your favorite salsa for more flavor!

Suggestions:
I normally load these up with vegetables. I will add bell peppers, jalapenos, carrots, spinach, and/or tomatoes, this recipe also works great for left over chicken. If wish to substitute or add any of these ingredients, just add them on before you bake them.

Nutritional information
Each Pizza has approximately
320 calories
9 grams of fat
4.5 grams of saturated fat
18 grams of protein

No comments: