Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Rosemary Pumpkin Soup

Please excuse my absence! I had strep and then the holidays hit. We all know how that goes, not a spare minute. I did cook, lots, but I didn't have time to prep, take photos, calculate calories and post it to the blog. I ended up making a couple of cheese balls, roasted veggies, and a cranberry orange cheesecake with gingersnap crust. Since we are finally getting some cold weather down here, I wanted to share a new favorite cold weather dish of mine, Rosemary Pumpkin Soup. I normally buy a pumpkin and roast it, but for this recipe I used two cans of pumpkin instead. This is a very hearty and filling soup, perfect for cold fall and winter nights.

Ingredients:
1 diced onion
3 large cloves of garlic - minced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of flour
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 cans of pumpkin
32 oz of chicken or vegetable broth

1. Saute onions in pot until translucent on medium/high heat
2. Stir in Paprika and salt
3. Saute garlic (approximately 30 seconds)
4. Stir in flour
5. Add broth, pumpkin, and rosemary
6. Bring to light boil and then bring down to simmer
7. Take off heat & blend (immersion blender or regular blender)
8. Salt to taste and serve

I garnished mine with croutons and fresh rosemary.

Nutritional Information
This recipe easily has 4 servings, each serving has approximately:
126 calories
 4 grams of fat
1 gram of protein

Variations -
Roasted pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin
Preheat oven to 350 F
Quarter pumpkin & de-seed
Lightly brush with olive oil & lightly salt
Place on baking sheet
Roast in oven for 30-45 minutes until tender

Chipotle Pumpkin Soup
Saute a bell pepper with the onions and trade the paprika for chipotle seasoning

No comments: